Sunday, August 15, 2004

Benny & Joon

Ok, so I just watched "Benny & Joon" for the first time (thanks to Nick from work...I'll get that DVD back to you one of these...crap, you're moving to Salem, aren't you...) Anyways, I think I just realized what a great actor Johnny Depp truly is.

It's like I loved him in "POTC" as Capt. Jack Sparrow. I think I'm still slightly bummed out that he didn't win the Oscar for that performance as an acid-laced Keith Richards pirate. Then, I saw him in "Chocolat." Another great performance as a similar, less induced pirate-type. I also really liked him in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico." Although, that movie does get gory, he does make the third part to "El Mariachi's" story well worth the two hours when I was in San Diego.

I can't wait to see him next winter as Willy Wonka in the new version of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" directed by Tim Burton. That should be totally creepy...c'mon that whole "is it rainin'? Is it snowin'? Is a hurricane' a-blowin'"... yah, that creeped me out when Gene Wilder did it...Johnny Depp will certainly give it his own flair.

Speaking of actors that I enjoy thoroughly, I just saw the trailer for the new Adam Sandler pic "Spanglish" with Tea Leoni. Hmm. Not quite sure about that one. He's got this funny thing going on with his hair, but nonetheless, he's still way hot. (Yes, I need to get that checked) And it doesn't look like the typical Sandler routine a la "The Water Boy," "Happy Gilmore," "Billy Madison," etc. I think he's really coming into his own as a romantic comedy actor...can we say Tom Hanks??? But, I don't think I'll see Adam in a Stephen Spielberg film in the near future a la "Catch Me if You Can" or even "Saving Private Ryan." But, "Punch Drunk Love" from Paul Thomas Anderson was well worth it...and yes, I'm still bitter about that Oscar-ripoff.

Till next time...

No comments: