Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Making an EXIT

I am sad to announce that my favorite Milwaukee (well, actually Waukesha)-based band is calling it quits after eight years together. Ryan, Mike, John and Craig (collectively known as EXIT) have decided to amicably part ways, according to an email sent to fans, and as listed on their website.

The group, which has won several WAMI awards during the past few years, plans to finish scheduled shows and then have a final show sometime at the end of September or early October. Then, it is off to pursue their solo performance goals. EXIT's website www.exitmusic.com will remain active (at the moment) to publicize the group's solo endeavors.

Ok...forget this sounding all journalistic shit. I am so bummed out about this! I haven't seen EXIT play a live show in nearly two years. Honestly, I think the last time I saw them play was October of senior year at UWM's Gasthaus with Katie #3 and her roommies, and then got trashed at Axel's because Chris wanted us to do like a zillion pitchers and then like five snakebite shots in a matter of an hour. But aside the evening of me getting totally wasted for the first time...

There will be no more EXIT! This is so sad. The boys who brought us the albums "Two Words" and "Scenes from Next Week" are through! I am saddened by this news. I love this band. I was talking with a guy tonight who went to high school with Craig who said everyone was fine and dandy. How wrong is that? Or, ironic???

I will never forget you EXIT! The great times at Summerfest, Wisconsin State Fair, Waukesha Riverfest, Bastille Days, UWM, Marquette, Milwaukee Bucks Playoff B-Ball Rallies, Milwaukee Ale House (THE BEST!!!!) and so many more!

How can I forget the great cover songs like Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer," or Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama?" {SIGH} All the great times dancing on tables and benches. Getting hoarse and having to drag myself into work the next day after closing the bars...Those were the days.

Listening to songs in my car and saying, "Damn, this is so my life right now," ("Given") or bopping in someone's else's car, ("You Drive Me Wild") or studying for finals and trying to stay up late ("Mary Go Round"). There were just so many great songs of your own and in general that have helped me through the past four years of my quarter-life crisis.

Good luck boys -- Just remember to schedule a reunion tour to Boston....

No comments: